I’d say August was an ok reading month for me—I read 8 books, and I started a super fun reading challenge, The Reading Quest. (More on that later.) Read on to hear about what I read, what I blogged, and what I hope to read in September!
- Shadow and Bone // Leigh Bardugo // ★★★☆☆.5 // young adult, fantasy // Pretty good, but nothing too extraordinary.
- Miles Morales: Ultimate Spiderman Vol. 1 // Brian Michael Bendis // ★★★★☆.5 // comic/graphic novel // I’ve never read a Spiderman comic, but I really liked this one.
- The Distance Between Us // Reyna Grande // ★★★★☆ // adult, memoir, nonfiction // An incredibly moving memoir about the author’s childhood in Mexico and her life as an immigrant in the U.S. I’m so glad my school picked this for summer reading.
- Wolf by Wolf // Ryan Graudin // ★★★★☆ // young adult, historical fiction, sci-fi // Alternate history where girl who can “skinshift” pretends to be another girl in order to win a motorcycle race and kill Hitler.
- Miles Morales: Ultimate Spiderman Vol. 2 // Brian Michael Bendis // ★★★★☆ // comic/graphic novel
- The Wrath and the Dawn // Renée Adieh //★★★★☆ // young adult, fantasy, historical fiction, romance // This book, a loose retelling of One Thousand and One Nights, is awesome!
- The Sword of Summer // Rick Riordan // ★★★★☆ // middle grade, fantasy // I liked this one! Read my review here.
- Homegoing // Yaa Gyasi //★★★★☆.5 // adult, historical fiction // Gah this was so good!
If you’ve been following my blog and Instagram, you probably know that I am currently partcipating in The Reading Quest! This is a super fun video game-inspired reading challenge hosted by Aentee @ Read at Midnight. For more info, check out my sign-up post. Here’s a little update:
- 5 books read
- 75 EXP
- 170 HP
- Level 2
- 1 side quest completed
- Mage path 80% completed
Again, if this makes no sense to you but you’re interested, read my sign-up post. It’s too late to join and compete to win prizes, but you could always just do it for fun. There’s still about a week and a half left of the challenge!
I only bought four books this month (outside of school textbooks) and I am pretty darn proud of myself.
And The Way the Light Bends by Cordelia Jensen // Thank you so much to the author for sending me an e-arc! Review coming soon.
All of my bookish posts from August…
(clicking the link in the caption will take you to the post)
Because school is starting, I’m not sure how much reading I’ll be able to do. Most of my tbr is books I didn’t get to in August, and of course the rest of my books for the Reading Quest. (It ends September 10.) I might not be able to get through all of these books, but I’ll try.
- Legend // Marie Lu
- The Way the Light Bends // Cordelia Jensen
- Illuminae // Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- Rogue One // Alexander Freed
- Ruby Redfort: Blink and You Die // Lauren Child
- Keeper of the Lost Cities (reread) // Shannon Messenger
- Openly Straight // Bill Konigsberg
- Feathers // Jacqueline Woodson
- When Dimple Met Rishi // Sandhya Menon
- Carry On // Rainbow Rowell
- Radio Silence // Alice Oseman
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue // Mackenzi Lee
- Black Dove, White Raven // Elizabeth Wein
What books did you read in August? Have you read any of the books I read this month or any of the ones on my tbr? Are you doing the Reading Quest? Tell me in the comments!